Monday, February 22, 2016

Fashion Gone Minimal: What Happened to Over the Top Fashion à la Gaga, Minaj, and Perry?

Lady Gaga performs in a faux-meat replica of her infamous 2012 red carpet stunner.










Remember that time Lady Gaga wore an ensemble made entirely of raw meat to the 2012 Video Music Awards?

Me too.


How about that time Nicki Minaj's 2012 Grammy's plus one was no other than the Pope? Or that time Katy Perry was literally glowing at the 2010 Met Gala in a light-up gown?

A few years ago these three pop icons along with others always left us speechless. Whenever they stepped foot on the red carpet or even when candid pictures were snapped of them by the paparazzi out and about on the street, you'd hear about it.

I mean, remember Gaga's pant-less, bow-hair phase? Iconic.

This is my generation's music meets fashion golden age. Much like how my mother had Madonna and the '90s had Britney Spears and the Spice Girls, middle school me had these starlets. I mean, Gaga arrived in an egg for the 2011 Grammy's. AN. EGG. Does it get more golden age then that? I think not.

So here's my question - where did this crazy, keep us guessing fashion go? Why isn't Gaga rolling up to events in an egg any more? Where's the raw meat?

Back in 2012 it felt like these pop darlings were battling for the title of "Hollywood's Craziest Dressed Musician." Each day bringing a new pair of McQueen armadillo shoes or eccentric wig to battle. Me, the fashion buff that I was and am, relished in this time period. But now, I think it is time to say goodbye. Goodbye McQueen lobster shoes, goodbye glitter face paint, goodbye light-up dresses. I'll miss you.

[Enter the Kardashians]

Faces contoured by the makeup gods, crop tops and skin-tight pencil skirt combos galore, barely there sky-high sandals aplenty, an abundance of Adidas tracksuits - the Kardashion/Jenner clan can make anything look as chic as can be.

A photo posted by King Kylie (@kyliejenner) on


It is to them that I attribute the next generation of fashion. The Minimalist Era.

I'm not in 2012 anymore.

What exactly do I mean by the new Minimalist Era? I mean its time to toss those outlandish wigs of yesteryear. Scratch that, Kylie Jenner, possibly the patron saint of the Minimalist Era, has been known to showcase mint or emerald tinted hair every now and then.

Seriously though, the dynamic of fashion has changed yet again. I'm not saying for the worse, merely just that its different.

I love the monochromatic trend, modern silhouettes, and clean, natural makeup I've been seeing everywhere from Instagram to Snapchat. All of these attributes combined or even on their own is so chic and "now", a breath of fresh air.


Personally, I'm all for the new minimalistic trends. I feel like everyone's grown up a bit. Middle school me has definitely grown up and so have the fashions worn by Gaga, Perry, and Minaj



A photo posted by Nicki Minaj (@nickiminaj) on

A video posted by KATY PERRY (@katyperry) on



Maybe its just that these women have already made names for themselves. They don't need to dress avant garde to get their pictures in the magazines anymore. I mean, look at how incredible they look in the above posts, with get-ups I believe could be characterized as more simple then what they may have worn in the past. Each of them has made huge leaps and bounds in their career in their own individual ways. They don't need the added glitter to get them noticed anymore.

For that, I applaud them. I mean, we're talking about some extremely successful, talented, and groundbreaking women here!

You go, ladies!



-BL



No comments:

Post a Comment